Damages an Injured can Claim in Vehicle Accidents

A person injured in a motor vehicle accident can claim two types of damages: one is non-pecuniary damages (general damages) and the other is pecuniary damages (special damages). The non-pecuniary damages (general damages) are the damages which cannot be calculated in terms of money. The Pecuniary damages are those damages which the victim has actually incurred and are capable of being calculated in terms of money.

Guardianship of a Minor Hindu Child

The Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act, 1956 (HMGA) and the Guardians and Ward Act, 1890 (GWA) are the two acts that deal with guardianship. Both the acts define the rights, obligations, relations between adults and minors. The GWA applies to everyone regardless of caste, creed, or community and it includes the procedure on how to petition courts for the appointment of a guardian. The HMGA has an overriding effect in regard to all other laws relating to guardianship, as per Section 5 of the HMGA.

Law relating to Guardian and Ward

The court, on an application by a party, can appoint or declared a guardian for a ward. The purpose is to ensure the welfare of the minor and take care of the ward’s person and property, as per the Guardian and Wards Act, 1890 (GWA).

Nudity does not per se amount to Obscenity

In Rehna Fatima v State of Kerala & Another, the High Court of Kerala quashed the charge of nudity and other ones levelled against the activist Ms Rehna Fatima under the penal code and other laws, for posting a video on internet depicting her minor children painting on her bare torso under the hashtag “Body art and Politics”.

Conversion of Paddy or Wetland in Kerala

The owner or the person in custody of any paddy land or wet land in Kerala shall not have any power to convert or reclaim such lands, since the enactment of the Kerala Conservation of Paddy Land and Wetland Act, 2008 (2008 Act) on 12th August 2008 and the allied rules enacted in 2008. The removal of sand from wetland is also prohibited by the 2008 Act. However, there are two exceptions to this general rule. One is that the owner of the land can seek permission to convert paddy land and construct a residence, and the other is conversion of land for public purposes.

Permanent Lok Adalat: How it works?

Permanent Lok Adalat (PLA) is a judicial body consisting of one judicial officer and two technical officers. Its purpose is to consider and decide the disputes relating to public utility services such as transport, Post and telegraph, sanitation and public conveyance, conservancy, hospital, dispensary service and insurance.